mandag den 8. marts 2010

memories of a forgotten past

Lately I have found myself looking back at a certain time in life, that pops out now and again like a my supprise, a forgotten past.
For some reason the almost springweather gives me the urge to listen to Kirk Franklin´s version of "Lovely day".
"Lovely day" is such a "happy dabby" song. It instantly brings me back to Amsterdam DTS days, Saturday mornings, with the sun shinning outside and everybody in a lazy mood AND then sometimes "lovely day" blasting out of my little cd player.
THIS though was not the time I specificly was thinking about....the "forgotten past" comes when my trail of thoughts continue and "lovely day" is over and I think of what other songs by Kirk I would like to listen to...oh yes, then I youtube "stomp" and THAT´s what brings the supprise...
In my younger days, my teens I guess, the church I attended had a very active youth group...within this youth group this band "New Power Generation Band" was formed, a band that would play Kirk Franklin-ish songs, and actual Kirk songs like "stomp". The purpose of the band as I recall was to bring out "the good news" in a modern "fresh" way, to show the world, we christians are NOT boring and WE HAVE FUN...
So you may ask what was my part in all this (well I guess it could have been anything since I am multitalented, but I only discovered that side of me ten years ago and this was before that time:)). WELL WELL I was a part of the dancing crew... When we topped we were 4 dancers, but mostly it was me and two others, we would make up coreographies to the songs and be a part of the stage show, we even did shaddow dancing.
When I remember myself in that time I remember enjoying it a lot, it was fun and a lot of the musicians and singers, were the "cool people" that I normally didn´t hang out with. And one of the dancers was a friend from Copenhagen that would come over and dance with us.
When I think back though I just have to say OH MY GOSH!!! and really it´s a time of my life I just don´t have on my usually "memory lane thought trail" and then it pops up like a SUPPRISE at certain times and I AM supprised and a little bit embarrased everytime I am reminded:)
They video-taped some of our shows, sometimes I think it would be fun to see some of that again, but mostly I hope they have been destroyed:)

4 kommentarer:

Davie sagde ...

What a fun memory!!! You are, clearly, very multi-talented. Come to Chicago to visit me, and we'll go dancing. :)

annesue sagde ...

i would love that:) maybe next time i go america i will have a stop by in chicago:)

Unknown sagde ...

I do remember those weekends when Simon would hop on the train to go dancing with you, and come back and talk about the shadowdancing. I also remember how lovely it was when winter turned into spring in Amsterdam. It was almost magical. Love your train of thoughts and love how it made me enjoy being a part of your life in different ways for so long. kys kys. and PS. Do you want a revolution woop woop. helligånd på turne...

annesue sagde ...

oh my gosh, "helligånd på turne" just gave me the goosebumps...yikes:)
makes me clap my haaands makes me wanna daaance, STOMP...

lovely with good ol´ friends, i agree:)